Mentor Post - 21 August
The Bourne Digital project. Recruiting for October and a look back at August.
It’s been almost 4 weeks since the start of the first Bourne Digital 12-week online Digital Confidence-Building course, which kicked off on Monday 3rd of August, and so far, the initial clients have learnt about keyboards and mouse skills, basic Windows options and how to create an email account, send an email and create an email address.
In that time the clients have also been paired with their Digital Champions and have begun their 1:1, 1-hour weekly sessions. If you would like to find out more about our first tranche of Digital Champions and how they work alongside our course, please visit this month’s blog post.
As the start of September’s course draws closer, we are looking forward to welcoming our next programme of clients and Digital Champions. Most of September’s clients will be loaned laptops for the duration of the course, and one client will be provided with mobile data. Device loan and provision of mobile data really makes our project unique in the Bournemouth area.
With September’s course nearly full, we turn our attentions to recruiting for Octobers 12-week course. Here is a recap of who we are looking for:
- Live in Bournemouth (BH1-BH11)
- Aged 19+
- Unemployed, and looking for work or underemployed and have the right to live and work in the UK
- Have no or exceptionally low digital skills and no digital device at home*.
*We can support clients who have low digital skills but do have a device, however, priority is given to those without a device.
If you are still not sure what our course involves, here is sample of just some of the topics we will cover:
- Practise your mouse skills & Get to know your device e.g. using your keyboard
- Create an email account/attachments/Using Outlook
- Complete online forms - including applying for jobs online, registering with a GP etc
- Search for information e.g. find your nearest pharmacy, search for work or volunteering opportunities
- Use Word Processing programmes
- Create a CV
- Manage your money online, online banking, how to use money saving tools
- Online safety
- Online Shopping, including paying bills or rent
We are really pleased to give our clients the opportunity to hear more from guest speakers from the following organisations:
- Bournemouth Churches Housing Association - mindfulness activities and learning opportunities
- Citizens Advice Bureau – Money Talks project,
- Dorset Police Cyber Crime Unit – creating secure passwords and phishing,
- Skills & Learning - learning opportunities
- Bournemouth Foodbank.
If you know of anyone with no, or exceptionally low digital/computer skills and would like to join our course, you can contact us by completing our contact form or calling 01202 677557 to arrange a call back. We look forward to hearing from you.
Before clients are accepted on the course, they will be asked to take part in a phone assessment, to gauge their suitability for the programme. Clients who do not meet the project criteria will be referred to a National Careers Service appointment or to one of our partners for further support.