Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some of the most Frequently Asked Questions about our Bourne Digital project. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We’ll be more than happy to help you.
What can Bourne Digital do for me?
We can help you upskill your digital or online skills based on the issues that are stopping you from moving forward. We can do this through our free 12-week online Digital Confidence Building course, creating bespoke guides or talking you through how to do an online/digital task.
What do you cover in the Digital Confidence Building course sessions?
Each weekly online session will include a different topic, beginning with the basics of getting to know your computer, mouse, and keyboard; working up to how to use email, create Word documents and much more. We have included some session topics to give you more of an idea:
- Employment: help with your digital CV, searching for work online and finding learning opportunities to increase your skills
- Confidence and Self Esteem: getting involved in activities you enjoy using digital tools such as YouTube tutorials or apps
- Education and Training: finding online courses or resources
- Digital Communication and Networking: learning to use email, social media and a variety of online communication tools for person and business use.
How much support will I get?
As much as you need until you are confident in the online/digital task you have initially identified that you wish to learn. You will have a Digital Champion to support you 1:1 throughout the programme, a maximum of 1 call up to 1 hour per week.
Who is eligible for Bourne Digital?
We can support you if you are aged 19-65, live in Bournemouth (BH1 – BH11), and have the right to live and work in the UK. The course is aimed at those who have no digital skills or a basic online/digital skillset.
What if I am not eligible to join?
Please do contact us on or 01202 677557 – one of our team members can support you to find an alternative digital course to suit your needs.
What if I don’t have access to my own computer or phone?
Don’t worry – we have this covered! Free laptop loan and mobile data are provided for the duration of the programme, if you don’t already have access to them.
Is Bourne Digital free?
What do you do with my personal data if I sign up?
We with local partner organisations throughout the project. Your details will be shared with them on a need to know basis, but we will ask for your permission first.
The personal data that is shared will always be limited to what the other organisation needs to meet its requirements or deliver its services.
Your information will be securely destroyed after it is no longer required for these purposes. We are not permitted to collect information we do not need or will not use.
We will never sell your personal information.
Is the course you offer 100% remote?
All the learning sessions and your 1:1 Digital Champion appointments take place online. However, there are a few occasions when you will need to meet a Mentor in person. Once, before the course starts to collect your device, if you are borrowing one, to sign relevant paperwork and have tutorials on how to get online. Then you will meet the Mentors again after the course has finished to return the device and collect your certificate!
Support is available via phone too if you feel more comfortable with this option initially.
All face to face appointments take place at Bournemouth Library, subject to government COVID guidelines.
When does the next course start?
A new cohort for the Digital Confidence Building course starts each month. Group sizes will be kept small, with a maximum of 8 learners.
Will the course involve any group sessions?
There will be a taught online session each week which will include everyone who has enrolled on the course, and sometimes guest speakers from local organisations who talk about topics such as cyber security, job hunting tips, wellbeing etc. The course will also consist of weekly 1:1 support from your Digital Champion.
How is Bourne Digital different from other projects or services?
You will have access to a Digital Champion who will work 1:1 alongside you to help you achieve your goals. The course is completely remote, so you can learn from the location of your choice. And don’t forget - free laptop loan and mobile data is included as part of the sign up, if you do not have access to the relevant equipment needed to learn. You will also have access to a free careers & employability appointment with one of our professional Careers Coaches, where they can support you to find further training courses, employment, complete a CV, prepare for interviews and much more.
Ok, I’m interested. What are the next steps?
We’re so happy you’d like to join.
- You can either phone our office on 01202 557667 and let us know you are interested in the Bourne Digital project. Alternatively, you can email us on . We will get back to you within 5 working days.
- Once we have your contact details, we will assess your digital skills via a telephone assessment, identify any barriers and what your personal goals are. We can then confirm your suitability and sign you up.
- You will be invited to a 1 hour 30-minute induction at Bournemouth Library by one of our Mentors so we can introduce you to the course, complete our documentation paperwork, set you up with any equipment needed, and to get you ready to learn remotely for the 12-week Digital Confidence Building course. Additionally, we will create and agree an action plan, helping you to identify areas in your life where improving your digital skills will really help make a difference.
- Once you have begun your Bourne Digital 12-week journey, you will be in regular contact with your assigned Digital Champion via email, to track your progress and answer any questions.
We look forward to speaking with you!