Application forms are your chance to secure an interview for an apprenticeship, full time or part time work so it’s important that you get it right!
Here are some tips:
- Make sure you use black ink and answer all the questions. It might be a good idea to print out a spare form to practise.
- Read through the Job Advert and Job Description. Highlight the skills and experience they are looking for and use the application form to show that you’ve got the skills.
- Think about everything you’ve done and how it may be useful to your application. Examples include previous jobs, qualifications, special projects, positions of responsibility like being a prefect, being on a sports team and your own hobbies and interests.
- Don’t just describe what you did, be STAR:
- Write down all your work experience including voluntary, part time and holiday work.
- Make sure to use positive language such as achieved, negotiated, accomplished, coordinated.
- If there’s a question you’re worried about or which highlights an area of weakness for you, be honest but keep it brief and make sure you emphasise the positive things you can offer.
- Photocopy the completed form so you can go over what you’ve said and prepare for an interview.
- Be clear about any learning difficulties, health problems or disabilities so that the employer can support you with them
- Attach a covering letter to send along with the application form.
- Double check you’ve answered all the questions appropriately and make sure your spelling and grammar is correct.